Mike Kawula is a die-hard entrepreneur with a knack for running successful businesses. He shares stories of using Twitter as far back as 2007 to listen and answer customers’ pains for his cleaning company and online office supply business. He tells us how he made a $27,000-order from building a solid connection on Twitter. Not to mention, having Gary Vaynerchuk as one of his customers.
In this episode, Mike shares a ton of great tips that you can apply right now to help you start growing your Twitter following. As Mike explains, there is nothing better than Twitter to create a good marketing impact on your business as long as you engage and act on it accordingly. Of course, while having fun too!
- Use Twitter to promote your business and connect with customers. Add them to a prospect list then build relationships by tweeting them and sharing content.
- Many companies lack their own social media management team so they’re not able to pay attention to customer complaints. Mike attracted customers because he was using social media to answer their pain points.
- Mike shares the story of how listening to Gary Vaynerchuk on Twitter helped land him as a loyal customer.
12 Great Actionable Tips to Increase Your Twitter Following:
- Have a really good header and change it from time to time based on the season or promotions.
- Create a good profile image. Go for a face behind the brand. Mike uses a logo with himself as his personal headshot.
- Make sure you have a good, catchy, fun bio that describes exactly who you are, what you stand for, and a little bit about what your business is.
- Control your first tweet by having a pinned tweet. It can be a call-to-action, a promotion, or about anything that has to do with your brand.
- Cross promote across other social medial channels. Share your Twitter profile on your blog, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
- Embed your tweets into your blog or use the Click-to-Tweet tool. Like this:
“Catch #TwitterSmarter podcast Ep32 for tips to grow your Twitter following with @MikeKawula”
- Use an automation tool for spreading out your tweets on a regular basis such as Buffer, Hootsuite, and SocialOomph. Mike tweets every half hour and I tweet every hour!
- Follow what’s trending on Twitter. “The trend is your friend.”
- Studies show 23% more Retweets (RT) when you spell out the word asking for a “retweet.”
- Make use of hashtags to get folks the opportunity to find what you’re tweeting about. Use Hashtagify to show you different hashtags you could use. But do your research to check out if it’s being used and how it’s being used. “Don’t be a hash-hole”
- Engage with the influencers. Share influencers content and tag them. Chances are, they might also tweet some of your content.
- Join Twitter chat parties. Don’t be a lurker. Engage with people.
Wait…. there’s actually more! But you gotta listen in to find out about more surprise tips.
- If you’re giving something away of value that answers a pain point for them, that’s a great way to start off the relationship.
- The Twitter trend is your friend.
- Periscope is the future of Twitter.
Links to tools and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Social Quant – THEY’RE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS
- Fiverr.com – offers graphics, online, and marketing services
- Canva – simple and easy graphic design software for everyone
- Periscope – broadcast live video to the world
- Click to Tweet – creates a click-to-tweet button call-to-action for your content
- Hashtagify – search and find the best Twitter hashtags
- IFTTT (If This Then That) – create recipes to connect different apps
- Hootsuite – social media management tool
- Buffer – social media management tool
- IFTTT recipe to add people who mention you to a list – Aaron Lee explains how to do this step-by-step.
Mike uses these tools to set his marketing on fire:
- Social Oomph – Share great content.
- Post Planner – Find great content to share on Twitter.
Twitter chat parties Mike recommends:
- #TwitterSmarter – Thursdays 1pm ET
- #ViralChat – NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Here are some of my favorites:
- #MediaChat – Thursdays 10pm ET
- #BlogElevated – Monday 10pm ET
- #BufferChat – Wednesdays 12pm ET
How to reach Mike Kawula:
You can reach Mike on Twitter @MikeKawula.
Your Call to Action:
How are you growing your Twitter following? Send me a tweet at @MadalynSklar and tell me all about it. I look forward to hearing from ya!
Share The Love For This Podcast:
Want an easy “one-click” way to Share The Love for this podcast? Go here: www.madalynsklar.com/love to tweet out your love.
Thanks for the listen!
I appreciate you listening to this podcast, and would be extremely grateful if you would take a moment to rate & review it on iTunes. By doing this, my rankings will increase and more people will be able to benefit from the tips and tools shared in this #TwitterSmarter podcast series. Please also subscribe to this podcast while you’re there. It will ensure you don’t miss an episode!
I read every review that comes in, so please know that you have my sincere thanks!
#TwitterSmarter Twitter Chat:
Join our brand new Twitter chat where you go to learn and share Twitter tips. It’s every Thursday at 1pm ET/10am PT. We’ll also have Q&A’s with guests from the #TwitterSmarter podcast. Mark your calendar. You don’t want to miss this!