This podcast episode is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30 day free trial. I recommend listening to The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan.
Kami Huyse is the CEO of Zoetica Media and the founder of Growth Hacks for Women, a community where she shares inspiring life, business and productivity hacks for entrepreneurs. In 2009 she started the Social Media Breakfast of Houston. And last year Kami and I started a new podcast together called Communities That Convert.
In this episode, Kami shares her “BE FUN” secret sauce on Twitter. She stresses the importance of building a community by being community-minded and nurturing. Plus, she talks about how you can maximize the use of GIFs, Twitter videos and quick hashtags to make your tweets more engaging!
- Kami’s secret sauce is to “BE FUN” on Twitter
- B – Behind the scenes. Show how you’re doing things behind your business and your life. People are very interested to know what you’re doing and how you’re doing them.
- E – Exclusive offers. Offer things on Twitter that you don’t offer anywhere else.
- F – Fun contests. Get people involved. It’s important that it’s not business all the time.
- U – Unique content. Make sure that you add your little secret sauce to every tweet. Give people a little insider tip about how you’re looking at that content.
- N – Neighborly advice and community. Building community on social media is so critical.
- Kami talks about ways to have a good Call-To-Action (CTA)
- But keep in mind every tweet does not need to be a call-to-action.
- Don’t be a taker, be a giver.
- Have a call-to-action when you need someone to take action. Your audience needs to be warm and receptive.
- Nurture your contacts. Use 80/20 rule – 80% of content should be about other people, 20% ask them for things.
- Kami talks about ways to build your community on Twitter
- Be community-minded. Think of yourself as a community manager rather than as a person who has an audience or followers. People follow you because they care about themselves and whatever you’re offering is of interest to them.
- Think of your audience as a community that you’re nurturing. Talk and listen to them.
- Use your GIFs strategically
- Personalize GIFs and have fun with them.
- You can create your own GIFs. Madalyn uses an iOS app called DSCO.
- You can apply for a GIPHY brand channel so that your GIFs are accessible on GIPHY and also on Twitter. See Andrew and Pete and Tim Lewis.
- Madalyn walks Kami through the process of taking a GIF from GIPHY and utilizing the Buffer Chrome Extension to simply ‘right-click’ and ‘Buffer this image.’ See “How To” video below.
- Twitter Video
- Utilize Twitter videos more in your tweeting.
- It’s a great way to bond connections.
- It’s easier than typing and the impact is huge. There is so much power in video.
- Madalyn started #VideoReplyDay as a way to connect with people on Twitter. Start replying to tweets with a video.
- Create quick hashtags for important events. Example Madalyn started #SMDayLive to celebrate livestreaming of Social Media Day.
My Favorite Quotes:
“Don’t be a taker. Be a giver.”
“Be community-minded. Think of yourself as a community manager rather than as a person who has an audience.”
“My purpose in life is a community builder that builds communities. My goal is to help other people empower other people to build their own community.”
Tools, Links and Apps Mentioned:
- DSCO – cool free iOS app that allows you to make your own GIFs
- GIPHY Cam – GIF maker for the iPhone and Android
- GIPHY – search for GIFs on this site
- Buffer – social media management platform that makes it simple to schedule content as you discover it
- Buffer Chrome Extension – click the Buffer button on any website to add tweets, Facebook updates as well as LinkedIn and Instagram posts to your queue
- #VideoReplyDay – initiative I started in 2017 to encourage people to reply to tweets with a video
- #SMDayLive – Last year I hosted a live stream video show with Anh Nguyen on 6-30-17 for Social Media Day. We’ll do it again this year!
- Communities That Convert podcast – new podcast I co-host with Kami Huyse. We share our insights on how to build, grow, nurture and monetize your community efforts and build a tribe of raving fans.
- Growth Hacks for Women – Kami Huyse started this community for ambitious women who are looking for the most efficient and impactful ways to get to the next level in their work
- Quuu – hand-curated content suggestions for social media
- Hashtagify – find the top hashtags for Twitter and Instagram for free
- Tweet Archivist – essential analytics for tracking and archiving Twitter
- Tag Sleuth – track analytics and metrics across Twitter and Instagram
- Article: How to Make an Animated GIF: A Guide for Marketers – this article shows you how to make your own GIFs
- Kami was a guest on the #SocialROI Twitter chat: Social Media as a Tool For Building a Brand That Lasts
Here’s a GIF I made using DSCO
— Madalyn Sklar Ranked Houston’s #1 Social Media (@MadalynSklar) March 25, 2018
Here’s a GIF That Tim Lewis Made
— Tim Lewis @ Stoneham Press (@StonehamPress) January 11, 2018
Here’s An Example Using The Buffer Chrome Extension
I’m on a podcast interview talking about GIFs. Hey, look at the cute kitty cat from @GIPHY. I did this tweet using the @buffer chrome extension. Hear about it in my next #TwitterSmarter podcast episode. It comes out this week with guest @kamichat. pic.twitter.com/GFrrHC3MmF
— Madalyn Sklar Ranked Houston’s #1 Social Media (@MadalynSklar) March 25, 2018
Video: How To Tweet a GIF Using The Buffer Chrome Extension
How to Reach Kami:
Your call-to-action for this episode is to use GIFs strategically in your tweets. You can create your own GIFs on your phone using the Giphy Cam app. It’s available for both iPhone and Android. Make it a habit to play with GIFs in your tweets. It’s so much fun! Send me a tweet @MadalynSklar with a GIF, either one you created using the app, OR a fun one you found on Twitter or GIPHY. I want to hear from you. I’ll be waiting for your tweet.
Shout Out to My Patrons!
I would like to personally thank my patrons who support this podcast. Thank you Alesia, Samantha, ViviMar, Jim, Sinem, Lina, Tomas, Marilyn, Rick, Echo Twelve, Juli, Donna, Emma, Brandi and Kim. Find out how you can support this podcast too.
Ask Me Anything!
I want to answer your questions about Twitter. Leave me a voicemail at MadalynSklar.com/speakpipe and I will pick a few to answer on the show.
Share Your Love For This Podcast:
Want an easy “one-click” way to Share Your Love for this podcast? Go here: www.madalynsklar.com/love to post a tweet.
Thanks For Your Attention!
I appreciate you listening to this podcast, and would be extremely grateful if you would take a moment to rate & review it on iTunes. By doing this, more people will be able to benefit from the tips and tools shared in this #TwitterSmarter podcast series. Please also subscribe to this podcast while you’re there. It will ensure you don’t miss an episode!
I read every review that comes in, so please know that you have my sincere thanks! Not sure how to rate & review a podcast? Click here to learn how.
Check out my online mini-class. It’s FREE!
I call it my #TwitterSmarter Secret Sauce. It’s a mini-class I put together at madalynsklar.com/secretsauce. I have articles and videos where I share my strategies on how to boost your presence on Twitter so you get better results.
NEW! Video Like A Rockstar Mastermind/Online Training Program
I have a new mastermind/training program to help female entrepreneurs get more comfortable with live streaming & video. This is for go-getters who want to learn and take action. Space is limited.
Join me on Patreon
You can support me and this podcast on Patreon. As a supporter you’ll get rewarded with perks such as early access to the episodes and bonus content from my expert guests.
#TwitterSmarter Twitter Chat:
Each week I host the #TwitterSmarter Twitter chat and bring together hundreds of people in an active one hour discussion revolving around Twitter marketing. It’s every Thursday at 1pm ET.