In this episode, Crystal King shares six practical Twitter tips to help you elevate your Twitter presence so you can stand out and rise above the masses. It’s not about having lots and lots of followers. It’s about having a smart plan that drives engagement and awareness.
This podcast episode is brought to you by the #TwitterSmarter Twitter chat. Each week, I host this chat and bring together hundreds of people in an active one-hour discussion revolving around Twitter marketing. It’s every Thursday at 1pm ET. Hope to see you there!
Crystal King is a social media professor for HubSpot Academy. She has led global social media and community programs for companies such as Pegasystems, Keurig Green Mountain, CA Technologies, and Sybase. And she has taught classes in writing, creativity, and social media at Harvard Extension School, Boston University, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, University of Massachusetts Boston, and Grub Street.
She’s also a novelist, with her latest book, The Chef’s Secret.
I had the pleasure of working with Crystal this year on Hubspot Academy’s new course called How to Build an Advanced Twitter Strategy.
Crystal King’s Twitter Tips That Will Help You Stand Out:
- Don’t be afraid to reuse your tweets.
- Don’t overuse the same tweets. (Find a balance.)
- Ask questions to get people talking. (People love talking about themselves) One way: Use polls to ask your community questions.
- Be an industry resource. You’ll be helping others while also creating connections and building your network.
- Find out what communities your audience is a part of. (Example: #WritingCommunity)
- Focus on engaging with others – not on trying to go viral or get more followers. Going viral is not important to your brand, and it doesn’t mean you’ll have an increase in followers.
My Favorite Quotes“I would much rather have 500 really amazing fans than 5,000 or 50,000 disengaged fans.” – Crystal KingClick To Tweet “That personal one-to-one engagement is far more important than trying to get something to go viral.” – Crystal KingClick To Tweet
Tools, Links, and Apps Mentioned:
- Hubspot – a marketing, sales, and service software for businesses
- Buffer – a social media management platform that makes it simple to schedule content as you discover it
- TweetDeck – a social media dashboard for management of Twitter accounts that’s helpful for participating in Twitter chats, scheduling tweets
- Tweepi – a Twitter tool that helps you quickly add and delete Twitter followers
- How to support this podcast on Patreon
How to Reach Crystal King
You can connect with Crystal King on Twitter (@Crystallyn).
Call to Action
Your call to action for this episode is to follow Crystal’s Tip #3: Ask questions.
You can easily do this by conducting a Twitter poll. If you haven’t done this before, you can get info at madalynsklar.com/twitterpolls. And be sure to check out one I did recently by going to madalynsklar.com/mytwitterpoll, or just look below:
I’m taking a really important scientific poll today. Are you ready??
What is your favorite color?
— Madalyn Sklar ? Digital Marketing since 1996 (@MadalynSklar) November 3, 2019
It’s an example of a not-so-serious poll. I literally asked my community to share their favorite color. Sometimes I keep my polls lighthearted like this, and at other times I ask questions that help me gauge how I can best serve them, like what topics they’d like to learn from me.
After you tweet your poll, hit “reply” and tag me (@MadalynSklar) so I can check it out. I’d love to see it.
FREE #TwitterSmarter Secret Sauce course
Need some simple Twitter marketing guidance? Check out my FREE #TwitterSmarter Secret Sauce course.
#TwitterSmarter Master Class
Ready to go all-in for Twitter marketing training? Then you’re ready for my #TwitterSmarter Master Class.
#TwitterSmarter Twitter Chat
My weekly #TwitterSmarter Twitter chat on all things Twitter marketing featuring a different social media marketing expert each Thursday at 1 pm ET.
Contact me to learn how YOU can become a #TwitterSmarter podcast sponsor.