As a Twitter user, you should absolutely take advantage of Twitter lists. This is a feature that allows you to create your own custom feeds. It’s basically a curated group of accounts that you can save and follow. You can then access this list anytime you want to see the latest posts from that group of people. It’s a great way to cut through the noise and see the updates that are most important to you.
But if you’re not sure how to create a Twitter list, you’re probably wondering how you can get started. That’s why I’ve put together this handy guide to walk you through the process, step-by-step. Plus, I’ve previously written a post all about how you can use Twitter lists. Definitely check that out for some inspiration and then use this post to create your first list.
How to Create a Twitter List (and Join Other Lists): A Step-by-Step Guide
The good news is, it’s actually really easy to create a Twitter list, add people, and subscribe to lists that others have created. Here’s how you do it! Just follow these steps and use the images to guide you along the way.
Create a Twitter List on Desktop
- The first thing you’ll need to do is find “Lists” in the left-hand sidebar of your Twitter homepage. This will bring you to a page that displays lists you’ve created, ones you’re subscribed to, and all the lists that you’re a member of.
- In the top corner, you’ll notice a small icon that looks like a note with a plus sign. Click on that to create a Twitter list of your very own.
- Next, you’ll see a pop-up (shown above) where you’ll add the name of your list, a description, and a checkbox should you wish to make the list private. If it’s private, only you can see the list. No one else will be able to view who is on the list and they won’t be able to subscribe to it either.
- After you’ve put in all of that information, the next step to create a Twitter list is to actually add people to the list. You’ll be taken to a screen where Twitter will automatically suggest adding people that you follow or have engaged with recently. You can also search for anyone you want to add by name or username. Once you’ve chosen a few people to add, you’re all set and your list will be ready to view!
- If you ever need to edit this list, navigate back to the “Lists” page, click on the list you want to make changes to, and then click “Edit List.” This will allow you to change things like the name and description. You can also control members or subscribers of the list, add new people, or delete the list entirely.
Create a Twitter List on Mobile
- From the main screen of your Twitter mobile app, click on your profile photo in the top left-hand corner. This will bring up a menu that displays shortcuts to your profile, topics you’re following, bookmarks, moments, and more. You’ll also see an option for “Lists.” Tap that.
- You’ll then be taken to a screen that displays all of the lists you’ve already made (if any). And in the bottom right-hand corner, you’ll see a blue icon. Tap that icon to create a Twitter list.
- From there, you’ll see a very similar screen to what you see on the Twitter desktop. You’ll be able to name your list, add a description, and make it private if you’d like. Once you’ve added all the information, click on “Create” (for iOS) or “Save” (for Android).
- The next step is adding accounts to your list. On iOS, you’ll be prompted to start searching for users to include. Simply search for people by name or username and click “Add” to make them a member of your list. If you’re on Android, you will need to visit a user’s profile page, tap the three dots on the top right-hand corner, and then choose “Add to List.”
- To make any changes to your Twitter list in the future, just go back to the “Lists” page, select the list you need to edit, and click on the “Edit List” button.
How to Subscribe to Twitter Lists Others Have Created
Now that you know how to create a Twitter list, you may find yourself wanting to subscribe to lists others have created. You can actually see any public lists that someone has made by visiting their profile, clicking the three dots underneath the profile header image, and selecting “View Lists.”
Doing this allows you to see all of their personal Twitter lists that are public, which lists they’re subscribed to, and all the public lists this person is a member of. Scroll through and see if anything catches your eye.
By clicking on a list, you’ll see all the members, as well as a stream of the most recent tweets from those members. If the list appeals to you, click the “Subscribe” button at the top. After that, you’ll be able to access this list from your “Lists” tab. Simple as that!